1. The fox was unsuccessful in reaching the grapes.(VAIN)
→The fox tried in vain to reach the grapes.
2. The crops were badly affected by the storm. (EFFECT)
→The storm had a badly effect on the crops.
3. The project received unanimous approval of the committee.(FAVOUR)
→The whole committee was/were in favour of the project.
4. The personnel officer promised him that she wouldn’t tell any one that he had been in the prison. (WORD)
→The personnel officer gave him her word that she…
5. Nobody could possibly believe the story he told us. (BEYOND)
→The story he told us was beyond belief
6. I had lost his phone number, so I could not contact him before. (TOUCH)
→ I could not keep/get in touch with him because I had lost his phone number.
7. I enjoy being the boss of a small company. (FISH)
→I enjoy being a big fish in a small pond.
8. The success of our local theater has made our city famous. (MAP)
→The success of our local theater has put our city on the map.
9. She is not upset; she is only pretending. (ACT)
→She is not upset; she is only putting on an act.
10. The bank robbers escaped in a stolen car. (GETAWAY)
→The bank robbers made a getaway in a stolen car.
11. As people use a lot of wood-pulp, many trees are cut down.
→The more wood-pulp is used, the more trees are cut down
12. Because of the absence of the atmosphere on the moon, the sky there is black, just as in space.
→Because there is no atmosphere on the moon, the sky…
13. These young men became doctors after six years training.
→After these young men had been trained for six years, the became doctors
14. People believe that the Chinese invented paper in 105 A.D.
→Paper is believed to have been invented by the Chinese in 105 A.D.
15. A man I don’t know told me about that.
→I was told about that by a man I don’t know.
16. That was a silly thing to say!
→What a silly thing to say!
17. We’ve run out of petrol.
→There is no more petrol left.
18. It takes six hours to drive from here to London.
→It is a six hour drive from here to London.
19. He was sorry he hadn’t said goodbye to her at the airport.
→He regretted not saying goodbye to her at the airport.
20. They failed to find out a solution to the problem.
→They didn’t succeed in finding out a …
21. Most stores will accept a credit card instead of cash. (ALTERNATIVE)
→Most stores will accept a credit card as an alternative to cash.
22. You can avoid tooth decay by brushing your teeth regularly. (PREVENT)
→Brushing your teeth regularly can prevent tooth decay.
23. Some of Peter’s expressions make me think of my brother. (REMIND)
→Some of Peter’s expressions remind me of my brother.
24. When do you think this bridge was built? (OLD)
→How old do you think this bridge is?
25. That old typewriter is not worth repairing. (POINTLESS)
→Repairing that old typewriter is pointless.
26. They share a lot of hobbies and interests. (COMMON)
→They have a lot of hobbies and interest in common.
27. This train should have left 30 minutes ago. (MEANT)
→This train was meant to leave 30 minutes ago.
28 The president arranged for me to use his chauffeur-driven car whenever I liked. (DISPOSAL)
→The president placed/put his chauffeur-driven car at my disposal.
29. The painting is worth $25,000. (VALUED)
→The painting has been valued at $25,000.
30. This passport can be used in most countries.
→This passport can be valid for most countries.
31. My bank manager and I get on together very well. (TERMS)
→I am on very good terms with my bank manager.
32. That hotel is a bit too expensive for us, I am afraid. (REACH)
→That hotel is a bit beyond our reach, I am afraid.
33. Absolute secrecy was crucial to the success of the mission.
→Without absolute secrecy, the mission wouldn’t have succeeded.
34. Immediately after his arrival home a water-heater exploded.
→Hardly had he arrived home when a water-heater exploded.
35. Rita doesn’t realize how serious her husband’s operation is going to be.
→Little does Rita realize how …
36. A waiter spilled soup over Lydia’s new dress last night.
→Lydia had some soup spilled over her new dress by a waiter last night.
37. It was the goalkeeper that saved the match for us.
→Had it not been for the goalkeeper, we would have lost the match.
38. Tim insisted on being told the complete story.
→Nothing but the complete story would satisfy Tim.
39. Jane’s husband will be returning from South America quite soon.
→It won’t be long after Jane’s husband returns from S.A.
40. The permit expires at the end of this month.
→The permit is not valid after the end of this month.
Bài viết mới nhất cùng Box:
- » Chia dạng đúng của từ? (21/05/2014)
- » Các bài tập câu tường thuật (17/10/2013)
- » Các dạng bài tập rút gọn mệnh đề quan hệ khi... (13/10/2013)
- » Exercise No.2 (11/10/2013)
- » Exercise No.1 (11/10/2013)
- » 100 Câu Trắc Nghiệm Ngữ Pháp 01 (10/10/2013)
- » Bài tập ngữ pháp tiếng Anh cơ bản có đáp án (04/10/2013)
- » Bài tập chia thì tiếng Anh có đáp án (04/10/2013)
- » Bài tập về tính từ / tính từ sở hữu (11/09/2013)
- » Bài tập nhận biết Tính từ và Trạng từ (Unit... (12/08/2013)
Bài viết ngẫu nhiên trong diễn đàn:
- » Tăng tốc máy tính bằng cách giảm dung lượng... (10/10/2013)
- » [CD+Book] Trọn bộ Oxford Bookworms... (08/01/2015)
- » Động từ hay gặp (26/05/2013)
- » Phân biệt all và whole (28/07/2013)
- » Một số cụm adj/V với giới từ cơ bản (29/03/2013)
- » Tag&Rename 3.57 Full + Crack (24/08/2013)
- » Learn To Speak English 10 - Phần mềm luyện... (01/07/2013)
- » ôn thi lớp 10 phần VI (Đại từ quan hệ) (17/03/2013)
- » Cốc cafe không đường! (15/05/2013)
- » only love (02/03/2013)